Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hymn 293

We sang a song in church today which I don't know if I have sung before. But it touched me deeply, had to pull out the tissues from my book bag which I have reserved for a lump in the throat emergency such as this.

Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord
Thou sendest blessing from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love

What greater gift dost thou bestow
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith enrich our days

When such a friend from us departs
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love
We praise they goodness, Lord above.

Many years have passed since I have heard the lilting tones of some of the voices of my former friends, yet they are a part of me and have no idea. I seem to have used up some of them far before their time, before they were done with me, before they had finished working their influence on my life and character. It took me decades to fathom all that they taught me. In some things I'm a quick study, in relationships, I have no clue. Correction, I had no clue, but eventually the rock that bounces over rough ground gets worn smooth.

A good story has an arc of character, during which the character learns or transforms from one way of being to another. My appreciation for my friends has goen through such an arc, over the years and many miles, and I thank them for their patience and longsuffering with me, while I learned my lessons. I am not done learning, there are many lessons more to complete, but I pray to be a more attentive and devoted student - THIS YEAR.

No comments: